This permit applies to individuals who are not a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada and want to work temporarily in Canada. A Temporary Resident Visa may also be required if they are on the list of countries and territories whose citizens need a visa.
What you need:
- In most cases, living in Canada on a work permit requires a Labour Market Opinion (LMO)
- The applicant can apply for a work permit following receipt of a LMO (certain exceptions may be made)
- A work permit only allows the applicant to work temporarily in Canada for four years
- The work permit is valid for four years – the applicant must return to their home country to renew after four years unless they are in a National Occupation Classification (NOC) Skill Level 0 and A position (professional and managerial)
- Work permits applications are done through a visa post or port of entry if the applicant is from a visa-exempt country
- A low skill worker applicant must be nominated by your employer under one of the provincial nominations programs