Student Visa

apply for a student permit in Canada - study abroad!
Study in Canada!

This permit applies to individuals who wish to study in Canada, extend their study permit, and work while they study.


  • Applicant is not a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada, and
  • Want to study temporarily in Canada.

A Temporary Resident Visa may also be required if they are on the list of countries and territories whose citizens need a visa.


What you need:

  • Choose a school, college or university
  • Get the right documents
  • Determine eligibility:
    • Accepted by a educational institution in Canada
    • Enough money to pay for tuition fees and living expenses for the applicant and family members coming to Canada
    • Return transportation for the applicant and family members who came to Canada with the applicant
    • The applicant must be a law-abiding citizen with no criminal record and not be a security risk to Canada. Police certificate may need to be provided
    • You must be in good health and willing to complete a medical examination if asked
    • Satisfy an immigration officer that the applicant will leave Canada at the end of their authorized stay
study in canada - student applications
Canadian Student Visa/Permit


  • A study permit is not required for a study program that is six months or less
  • Completion of the course or program within the authorized period for the applicant’s stay in Canada
  • It is advisable for the applicant to apply for a permit before they come to Canada in case the applicant wants to continue their studies in another program after they have completed their short-term course or program. This application should be done through a Canadian visa office outside of Canada

Working while studying:

  • The applicant may apply for an open work permit that is valid for three years if you studied for at least two years at an approved educational institute
  • Work on campus at the institution where the applicant is studying without a work permit if they are a full-time student and have a valid study permit – six months or less
  • Work off campus – the applicant can work 20 hours/week during academic sessions, full-time during holidays, and after six months of study at an approved institution
  • Post graduation – same length of study program (a maximum of 3 years), must be full-time and minimum of 8 months in length. The applicant must have graduated from a Canadian post-secondary institution. An application must be submitted within 90 days after confirmation of completed studies and have a valid study permit.
  • Canadian Experience Class (CEC) – if the applicant has worked for one year in a high skilled position after completing studies, they are eligible to apply for CEC.